I am struggling to do so many things, and I am accomplishing little.
- I need to clean my desk. It will take me hours. Every time I start, something or someone interrupts me, and I fall 2 steps back.
- I need to drive over to the east coast of Florida to see my mother. This is a command performance for her to give me her sterling flatware, which she has been promising me for a while and has been nagging me to come get personally.
- I was supposed to make arrangements for the family to go to DC for a niece’s Bat Mitzvah. I haven’t made any flight or hotel arrangments. I wish we didn’t have to go.
- I need to get back to a laundry schedule for the boys. Their clothes pile up, and I can’t keep up.
- I need to get away with my husband. He does not acknowledge this need, and obstructs matters by rejecting any candidate I propose to stay with the boys.
- I need to sign my kids up for camps. School ends this week, and I haven’t done a thing.
- I need to go see my doctors. ENT – I am congested and can’t breathe well. Everything smells like cigarette smoke to me. GYN – for an annual check-up, but I hate waiting in her office. Internist – for a general check-up; I fear the worst and rightfully so.
- I need my kids to listen and behave at home once in a while, so I can get some things done around here, like what I’ve just mentioned, and fix the stuff they’ve broken.
I need a break. I need my husband and kids to get the hell out of this house for a few days so I can catch up on everything. I need, I need, I need. I need to stop sounding like my mother and pretending it’s always all about me.